Keeping the bodys slim certainly makes a difference. I'm not sure why many commercial fly's are so fat. Thanks everyone for the input so far....I mentioned before a change I've made to my GRHE's...there are a couple and though as mentioned the situation your fishing certainly dictates the results above anything else, the days I tested spanned windy, sunny, light and heavy rain, morning/evening/mid day. I fished each in what I deemed the appropriet time and with trout hitting the older patterns, they hit those shown here modified more often. There truly is no science facts but every fisherman knows that adding triggers correctly increases take rates.
here's the Peacock herl up the back of a GRHE. I also used Turkey tail feather...coated both sides with Sally Hanson HAN, cut the V and tied it in with the approp V side up. I needed a casing to hold down the dubbing looped thorax but also wanted a casing like on Stone fly's. I pull the casing over, tie down, back up the thread a mm and using the flat of a blade..fold the V casing back towards the tail and tie down. taper the thread head to blend in the bluntnes of the turkey feather buildup and finish with a coat of HAN down the V casing and thread head.
just another thing that I found adds something trout on my streem seem to prefer.
the one pictured could have its head cleaned up better but everything I've posted in this thread is for fishing and I have to admit I think some element left a bit rough add to the initial success of a fly....like how they get better after being fished some. Also, the casing splits when folding the V back over. I think it simulates the splitting of a casing on an emerging nymph and I've been experimenting with that on other nymphs as well.
All in all, this thread is meant to prod others emaginations in trying and testing different ways of tying classic fly's. Do they work as is...absolutely...can they be "improved", I like to think so. Does it hurt to try...