View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Conditioned Fish

I forgot in my last post to add this.

I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that when there is a significant intrusion to the fishes world they may well cease to feed at such times.
That is more than apparent here on the White river, and most other places that l have fished when either wade or boat traffic is at a high level. Of course there are some exceptions to that, and the San Juan is one of those.
I can give you a typical example of that one.
If l can get to the Bull shoals dam zone when few if any other boats are in the area l know that under normal circumstances we can nail a bunch of good fish. If boat traffic increases the fish will shut down. And will not resume to feed again until a period has passed when things have settled down.
Same also for many of the trophy zones when wade fishing activity is high, the fish will cease to feed and until the area is vacated and left in peace for a good while the fish will not come back on to feed.

I do not in these circumstances consider that the fish retain a memory base, l am of the belief that is it the situation of circumstances at that time that is the reason why the fish become unsettled and cease to feed.
Other conditioning factors and selective feeding patterns are a different matter.

Davy.

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS