View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Sahagan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with the double haul, please?

Well, I spent some time practicing today...the double haul is going to take some getting used to, and apparently, quite a lot of practice.

I did however, put a good deal more "zip!" to my uptake and forward cast. And, it throws me off some, since it means my rod tip goes to places I'm not familiar with, resulting in big loops, line hitting line, and so forth.

On the other hand, when I get it right, and without trying to double haul, I can get 55-60 (I have a 100 yard shooting range in my back yard, with signs posted giving 25 yard increments, so measuring is easy, if not exactly totally accurate) feet with a small popper tied on. With nothing but the tippet, I can get 70 feet, but not as reliably as I should like.

Fortunately, those distances are sufficient for about 99 percent of my fishing situations. That doesn't mean though, that I won't continue to practice and learn the double haul.

In truth, this forum and these threads have caused my flyfishing jones to expand, well beyond the monkey on my back, to might near a passion. I'd better watch carefully, or I'll be buying stuff online....and Lord knows that therein lies trouble.

Again, thanks for the help and encouragement!

Sahagan