View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My First Streamer

Since you are up North and are probably fishing for trout and landlocked salmon take a look at the Nine Three streamer pattern. In the time since I started tying streamers the Nine Three is the best all round tie for anywhere I have fished. Here's a tip, don't make the wings as long as some pictures show them. They look good in the vise and in the water but when you fish them the feathers get wrapped around inside the bend of the hook and make the fly cork screw through the water. I have never had a fish take a cork screwing streamer as far as I know. When the fly is swimming nice and strait they are unbeatable.

If you keep tying feather wings keeping the wing just barely beyond the hook bend will be helpful. If you have flies with really long wings they will work great but you gotta keep an eye on them and every now and then un-wrap the feathers from the hook. The best way to know that it is time to check the fly is if you haven't had a strike in half a dozen casts. If you tie a Nine Three, post it....................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;