View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner ?'s - too much muscle in cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt618 View Post
1) I'm almost positive I'm putting way too much muscle into each half of the cast. 20' is pretty simple to move through the air with minimal effort, but 30' is requiring a lot of work to keep from collapsing. It seems like I'm "pushing" the rod through the air, elbow out from body, to get the line to move nicely. I think this pushing might be from fear of breaking the wrist, so I'm keeping it pretty much "braced" for lack of a better term. I notice that some casting methods use the wrist as a bit of a hinge to aid in accelerating to a stop.
Interesting that you mentioned that. The shop casting instructor, Brett, and I taught a group casting clinic last Saturday morning. Like every clinic, the best student was the woman. Her loops were tighter than everyone else's because she concentrated on technique rather than power. She was able to get a single haul cast with a 45 foot shoot after the clinic.

Quote:
2) When I transition from false casts to actually making the presentation, none of my working line coming out of the reel wants to be drawn through the guides, despite seemingly having a good stop. Also, even with the line pinched to the cork, I can't get a nice stretched-out line casted out. It just kind of flops down.
It is hard to tell you what is wrong without seeing what you are doing. I'm going to play the percentages here. My best guess is that you are breaking your wrist on the backcast. That will cost you a lot of line speed. Your stop point on your backcast should have your casting arm pointing straight up without your wrist breaking. The line will flex the rod back to load it up.

Quote:
I'm going to switch from my super-cheap bass pro clearance sale line (bought in a little plastic bag twist tied for under 5 bucks) to a lightly used Cortland my dad sent me. I might just be having line problems, but I really think it's operator error.
It's operator error.

Quote:
So- how much line should I be working with in practice? I can't imagine slinging much more than 30' back behind me! Also, it seems like I've read practically every beginner article on the internet, but maybe there's some practice method or tip I'm missing? I can roll cast farther than I can overhead
You shouldn't need to work with 30 feet of line unless you plan on shooting it.

All the internet articles and videos are nice resources. But they can't compare to having proper instruction. It helps to have someone there to critique your technique. My shop instructor, Brett, and I get together once and awhile and watch each other cast. We always find something to knit pick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
At any rate, It sounds like you have a form issue to me-- no amount of snot, or oil, or grease will make a line shoot without proper form.

If you have the means, I'd say look into casting instructions-- No one here can tell you what the problem is-- but a casting instructor could get your cast sorted in no time.
How about that. Raindogt and I are in agreement.

MP