View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Beginner ?'s - too much muscle in cast

Hi jwitt618,

As has been stated it is hard to help with out seeing you cast. That is why lessons are so useful. Here are my thoughts based on your comments.

1. With only 20 ' of line out your are probably not loading the rod correctly. This will make a difference as you progress. It limits how much energy you can transfer to the fly line.

2. I think you are moving the rod too fast and doing a constant pressure cast with no acceleration and abrupt stop. Your loops are probably wide open and with the long line out it just falls to the ground at the end of your cast.

3. To get more energy transfered to the fly line you must make the cast with an accelerated stroke and abrupt stop. This will tighten your loop and will assist the unrolling of the loop and transferring energy to the leader. When you get the acceleration and abrupt stop working you will see a loop forming in the fly line and unrolling.

When I talk about acceleration and abrupt stop I don't mean it is a powerful stroke. If you watch the video you will note the acceleration and abrupt stop is not very noticeable. But you can see the nice loops forming and this is what I think you are missing in your cast. If you are not getting loops as I suspect, you need to concentrate on the acceleration and abrupt stop aspect of your cast.

You can practice this anytime you are sitting and not doing anything. Using just your arm and hand in position like you are making a cast. Start a slow acceleration and then speed up and make an abrupt stop. Do this forward and reward and make sure you can see you hand accelerating towards the end of the movement and then the abrupt stop. You will be surprised how this practice will help with your casting.

If you see yourself in any of this information then it might help you. If I am way off then I am sorry and this probably won't help.

Frank