View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner ?'s - too much muscle in cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt618 View Post
Thanks for all the advice and discussion!

I'm very near St Louis, MO in Belleville, IL. I became keenly interested in fly fishing after canoeing 36 miles of the North Fork of the White River in southern MO in June. Beautiful river that showed less recreational pressure than any of the other Ozark rivers I've canoed. I saw a big trout holding behind a rock, and I knew then that I had to come back and catch him. The vegetarians on the trip even said they'd try some fresh trout next time Research told me that sections of the NF are red and blue ribbon trout areas, and the outfitter told me their Rainbow population has been self-sustaining since the 1960's.

So it really sounds like pro instruction is in order.

And yes, I'm fairly strapped for cash, so spending it in the right manner is important. Hey, at least I can't try to throw money at the problem!
Well you are in luck. I googled fly shops in st lous, and I saw that feathercraft is in st louis. They are a VERY GOOD fly shop. Then I noticed this:
Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies ...
FEATHER-CRAFT'S St. Louis Fly Shop is just 15-minutes from Lambert St. ... We've been teaching fly casting FREE for over 20-years at our St. Louis store. ...
http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...raft...flyshop... - Cached - Similar

I was in your shoes once, and I practiced all the time. All it did was reinforce my bad form. You are very lucky to have such a high quality fly shop nearby, and one that gives free fly casting lessons! You should call them up today!