View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner ?'s - too much muscle in cast

I just started fly fishing this year(got my rod in september last year so there wasn't too much fishing to be done) so i konw what its like to learn the cast. My local club gives free lessons before fishing season starts the beginning of every year, so i took that chance to finally learn. After just 1 day i was able to shoot line, and I didn't even get much teaching.
The thing that really got me on the ball and finally able to cast was knowing what loading feels like. before that point i had no idea what a proper cast was supposed to feel like, but once i got my rod to load, i knew i was in the money.
When you properly load the rod, you can feel the line pull your rod back at the end of a false back cast, as if someone was actually holding the line behind you and pulling it a bit. When you feel that pull, it means that all your line is out and was all fully loaded, when i get that feeling i start my forward cast. If you don't have much line out, the loading feeling might be subtle, so watch your line as you backcast and wait until its nearly all straight or is all straight before you start your front cast, because without the line being properly behind you your rod won't have anything to make it load well.
I believe its like towing/pulling a car out of a ditch. If you have slack in the line, the towing car won't actually be pulling the stuck car until the line is taught, and when that happens the energy transfer is too sudden and too much, and the energy goes to **** and you break something or pull something off. You want to have no slack in the tow cable so that you get full application of energy throughout the entire pull instead of a jolt.
If you're double hauling, i would suggest that you don't until you know what casting feels like. Just cast with the line pinched between the rod handle and one of your fingers. when you feel that pull or see the line fully extend, you know you're transfering proper/enough energy from the rod to the line and you can start letting line out at the stop points of the cast. If you can effectively let out line at each stop, you know you can shoot line because thats what you're basically doing when you let line out.
Oh ya, i don't know if this is true or not, but i dont think you actually need to hear a whipping/wizzing sound to make good/great casts and perhaps the sound even means something isn't going right. When i cast i almost never hear it, though i hear it all the time when i see other fly fishers who can't cast well, cast. Then again i heard it when one of the local guys casted, and he can cast well, so my theory is probably bunk