View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM

rcsmyth is on a distinguished road
Default more local trout action

I got up early this morning and headed for the mountains with no real plan as to where I was going. I'd never fished this area before so after poking around a while I finally found the water. Up untill now all of the trout I 've caught in my life have been rainbows so I was excited to reel in my first catch of the day to find what I think is a brook trout on my new 3 wt it was a whole new experience.

Click the image to open in full size.

I fished on for a couple miles and a couple hrs catching quite a few along the way most were in 5-6 in range and some real small. On the retirn leg I knew there was ome bigger fish hiding in there some where and then smack I get a good hit and the fight was on, its no monster but found this decent sized rainbow

On we go go again and I see what I think is another great hiding place for a nice size fish, after several casts into the likely hole its on, as I see a flash of color from the fighting fish its a bigger brookie and I cant wait to get a look.

At this point I caught everything on a nymph and really wanted some dry fly action although I 'd seen very little surface activity all day as I got back to my starting point I noticed several fish taking bugs from the surface
I quickly tied on a dry and started casting I got a good strike and hook up from the larger of the fish I could see but the hook was spat and the fish spooked I continued on untill I landed one small brookie on my dry fly and my mission was complete.
Thanks for looking
ryan