View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough
Default An F-ing Day on the Big Wood

No, I hope you're not thinking ill of me.

Fine weather, Fish, Friends, Food = Fun

In-laws (son-in-law's parents) visited with us for a few days and the father asked about the possibilities of sneaking in a day of fly-fishing. No problem for me.

Monday and Tuesday (12th and 13th) the wind blew like a son-of-a-gun, and the forecast didn't look too good, though it called for lesser 'breezes' on Wednesday. We set Wednesday for the day to 'sneak' out.

It was Fine. The air was calm, and the temperature was cool.

My guest is a relative newcomer to Fly-fishing and I didn't want to challenge him immediately with Silver Creek, though I new that the morning was best there. We chose to get wet first on the Big Wood near Stanton Bridge (two brown trout), then went over to Silver Ck (three nice rainbow between us), and after a streamside lunch went north of Ketchum and worked our way downstream (several rainbow each plus Neil released a whitefish, his first). Ended up in Bellevue where we met our spouses for a Fabulous dinner (grilled Arctic char for me).

The Big Wood was running swift but the water was clear. It did make for rather dicey wading on the upper stretches. Fortunately, I know several landowners and we had access to the river uninterrupted by visitors.

With the exception of the beginning at Stanton Bridge where we used nymph patterns (hare's ear and prince), we used various dry-flies—parachute Adams, caddis, pmds—and had success with all. In fact, at one point on Silver Ck I looked at a trout lying in the shade of a cutbank (on a pvt ranch downstream from the Conservancy) and tossed a mouse-rat a few times, bouncing it off the bank in imitation of the myriad voles in the area now. No success though, so returned to the parachute Adams, and still didn't get that fellow to give me a look. I hate to think just how many imitation flies those trout have seen.

We both released Fish at every stop. I was delighted that my guest had success. What a way to celebrate my 74th.

Allen R