View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Ordered Reels, Lines, & Fly Boxes From Allen & Co

My Allen and company reels and line just arrived today wih the afternoon mail. the following is a copy of the email I sent to Justin to let him know what I think.

"The reels and line arrived today and everything is perfect except the line is white instead of the green I asked for, but we will happily live with that. That gun metal color in the Alpha 3/4 is awesome. The only other barstock reel I ever owned was a Teton it was a fantastic little reel, but these reels IMO are every bit as nice as Abels if not better.

I don't know how you do it, I've got to say I wish it was me selling these reels.

To bad you don't spell Allyn the right way!JK

That Alpha is going to go beautifully with my 4 weight Sage Light Line. The Guide my son and I are using on the Upper Sacramento River on July 27th the day after we arrive already wants to buy my Sage Light Line. I bet he'll be wanting this little reel too. I can't wait to see how your line casts and mends. I could not be more thrilled."

I'm confident with everything I've read here on this forum I'll be even more pleased soon as I get to fish them. I just wish they arrived soon enough for to fit a day trip into my schedule to fish the the Truckee and Little Truckee, before my son and I head up to Dunsmuir on the 26th for our week long fishing trip.

One question. Will 150 yrds of 50 pound PowerPro be enough backing on these reels, because I already have 2 150 yard spools of it, but I know they could handle at least double that amount? I am pretty certain it will be enough on the Alpha 2/4, but what about the Trout 5/7. I'd like to avoid having to spend more money on backing since I've already spent the bank for this trip.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-17-2010 at 07:32 PM.