View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Packable/ economic 5 wt setup recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
Hi there-

I am new to your forum, and am in the market for a new setup. I am not too educated on gear. I fish primarily pocket water in the Bighorns. I occasionally fish lakes and larger rivers. I tend to hook into stuff <12 inches, as I am not too good at fishing bigger water yet.

I just ordered an Allen Trout reel, after comparing it to some of the lower end Ross reels. Now I just need a rod.

My current rod is a Redington TFF 8054 8 ft. 5 wt. 4 pc. I really like the size of this rod, but have never been too keen on the action since I bought it a few years back. It just seems too limp and noodly to get a good cast in tight spaces, or to cast for much distance. I can do short roll casts pretty well with my wife's cheapo Cabela's rod, but pretty much not at all with my Redington TFF. I guess I am looking for something easier to cast, 4 pc. or smaller, and preferably <8.5 ft.

Any suggestions in the <150.00 range would be appreciated- or, should I suck it up and learn to cast better on the Redington? I am looking for a quiver of one rod, as I don't want my fishing gear to reach the ridiculous proportions of my ski gear.

Dude! I ski and I flyfish. What fun is it if you dont have your super fat 140 mm wide skis for the pow, your skis for the groomer, your skis for the Bumps? Sure, 30 years ago people skied the deep pow, huge bumps, steep cliffs all on 240 cm straight skis, so it can be done, but what fun is that??!?!?

But instead of taking lessons and learning how to actually do the sport, why not just buy the coolest new rod or flyline that comes out???

That is what I did as a beginner, and ***, it never made me a better caster but it sure was fun buying all this junk!!

Do you want to cast better or do you want a travel rod? If you want to cast better, tell me where you live. Sometimes I have been known to do wonders (see the casting group)

If you want a smaller travel rod for $150 or less, wander over to the bears den, Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co., go to rods, then march brown.

Inspiring. This ever-ready companion is impeccably designed to prove worthy of its namesake. For less than the cost of a two-piece, experience a true high performance travel fly rod built using our same world famous, patented carbon blank! No other fly rod exists which boasts a better combination of cost and performance to give you the most bang for the buck. Built to last and built to fish extremely hard, this travel fly rod will endure through countless generations.

• Unbreakable, lighweight, woven carbon reel seaton fresh water models
• Indestructible, anodized aluminum handle with toughened fighting cork butt on salt water models
• Blackened and non-reflective stealth hardware with heavy duty single foot guides and enlarged tip

High Performance Travel Fly Rod Specifications:

• Lightest fly rods on the market for all-day casting
• Built using our own Elite Performance™, March Brown Ltd., patented carbon blank for unrivaled performance
• Exotic, lacquered, dark bolivian rosewood reel seat
• Polished nickel-silver hardware for classic styling
• Superior chrome single foot guides and enlarged tip
• Premium cork handle, hand-turned in Portugal and better than Grade A- “AA” for enhanced comfort and durability
• Refined, durability tested, matte finish which is non- reflective for stealth and the most challenging fish
• Innovative closed and coated loop design dynamically reduces-friction for long distance casting
• Fast middle to tip action and balanced taper for an effortless long or short range presentation
• Additional multi-layer, element protecting, outer coatings
• Elegant black velour pouch (included!)
• Free: Extremely rugged packing tube with carry handle, strap and name card holder
• Free: Velour “pack tight” removable travel bag designed to protect your rod when space is limited!

"No Excuse Necessary" LIFETIME GUARANTEED.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.

March Brown Legacy LS905-6
$149.95
9'0"
5 wt.
6 pc.