View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packable/ economic 5 wt setup recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
I am new to your forum, and am in the market for a new setup.
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
Any suggestions in the <150.00 range would be appreciated- or, should I suck it up and learn to cast better on the Redington? I am looking for a quiver of one rod, as I don't want my fishing gear to reach the ridiculous proportions of my ski gear.
How about get a new rod that fits your needs and get some casting help?

Do you buy your ski gear at a specialty shop, or do you buy it online? If you buy your ski gear from a specialty shop, why not visit a fly fishing specialty shop? If you prefer to have the expertise of a ski shop, you may end up liking the expertise of a fly fishing shop.

Try this for size. Bring your old rod with you, and show it to the sales guy. Tell him what you like and dislike about it, and have him pick a rod, or two or three that meet the criteria that you have established. Have him watch you cast, and let him be candid on what you can do to improve your stroke.

Since you may visit a specialty shop, why not ask the sales guy his opinion on what the right length of rod that you should be using. You said that you mostly fish pocket water at the Bighorns, so 8'6" may be too short.

This is just an opinion. An 8 foot 5 weight isn't the right rod as a first rod. In the hands of an unskilled caster, it may lack enough length for the caster to notice the load. With a 9 foot rod, the unskilled caster will have extra length to spread the line mass to get that load.

Regardless of which rod you end up with, you still will need help with casting. You can get casting instruction through a fly shop, guide, fly fishing club, or a fishing buddy.

As for rod recommendations, I'll let the specialty shop figure that out for you.

MP