View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

There have been several members who requested a thread about smoking salmon. Over the years we have came up with some pretty good smoked fish. This is the recipe we have settled on.

Salmon: Three average fish 8lb live weight each

First cut the fish and try to get most of the bones out. I have smoked whole fillets but found that cutting the fish into thin strips ala jerky style was more handy as a snack food.

Next you must make a brine:

Salt: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1 1/3 cup
Soy Sauce: 2 quarts
Tabasco Sauce: 1 or 2 teaspoons your taste
White wine: 1 quart
Water: One quart
Onion Powder: 2 teaspoons
Garlic Powder: 2 teaspoons
Black pepper: 4 teaspoons

Combine these to make a batch of liquid that you will soak the fish in. For larger batches or smaller multiply or divide the recipe. The above recipe will brine three average salmon.

Place some brine in a suitable container and begin adding fish I use a roaster pan here;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Continue adding fish and brine until all are in the container and there are no pieces of fish that are stuck together. You want all exposed to the solution and brine should cover the fish. Soak in brine for at least 8 hours refrigerated.

After soaking 8 hours, drain the brine;

Next you need to spread the fish out and dry it a bit. You can see the fan we use to speed up the drying. When the pieces begin to feel a little tacky you are ready to load your smoker racks.

Place the racks in your smokers. We use electric smokers and I typically burn 5 or six pans of Hickory chips when I do this. Check often to see if it is time for more hickory chips during the first 2 hours. The thinner pieces of fish will be ready in about 8 hours. The thicker pieces will take 12 - 14 hours.

The finished product known in this household as Red Gold;

I have tried several different smoked salmon recipes and found it best to stay away from the super salty or spicy ones, they overpower the taste of the salmon.

Enjoy,

Ard