View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Glacier National Park

Sam,

Welcome to the forum, as you have already found out someone here can usually provide an answer to almost any question. I hope you enjoy tour trip to the park. I have visited Glacier many times and found the hiking and opportunity for photography were better than the fishing. When you are traveling north from McDonald along the McDonald River you will cross 'Logan Creek', standing on the bridge take a look up the creek. You will see a waterfall way up in the mountain. I have taken a hike up there and climbed that granite escarpment on the left side of the falls. The trip is incredible. You will be walking among the largest Western Red Ceder trees I have ever seen (I'm talking 10' diameter trunks) and the lower end of the creek is open enough to fish. Up high it is a series of plunge pools and runs. About a mile up you would find that the creek forks, if you take the left branch it will take you to the greatest natural water slide I have seen.

All said if I were giving a backpacker advice on Glacier (and I am) I would say leave the broken trail and go explore Logan Creek. I have been many places on this continent but the trip I am describing to you is one that stands alone for a hike along a creek. The trip offers a glimpse of a real West Slope temperate rain forest, no broken trail (there will be one down low but by the time you reach the Rangers Cabin it will peter out into the bush) it is an actual wilderness experience inside one of our most heavily visited parks.

When traveling I have always had to try to balance the value of fishing against exploration. Sometimes the fishing is so good you can't walk away from it. Other times the beckoning of a world new to you wins over and you must change boots. I had crossed that bridge at Logan Creek for four years before I finally gave in to my sense of adventure and as I have said I will remember that trip as long as I live. It's on the short list of best hikes.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;