View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.
I doubt Orvis is making much if anything on a fly they sell for 50 cents. I realize it's popular in some circles to bash Orvis, but frankly I've found their gear to be pretty decent--- and their flies to be well tied. Certainly better quality than other 50 cent flies that unravel with just a hard stare.

Oregon, I think Tippet's post could be very helpful to forum members that don't tie, or are just starting out and are looking for decent flies at a good price.