View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 2nd Rod - Large Trout, Stripers, Salmon, etc.

Burns,

I don't share the feelings about reels like many do on this forum. I don't agree that the reel just holds the line. If you are catching big fish like Salmon or Stripers you should play the fish from the reel and then the drag comes into play. I think a $300 reel is well worth the cost for what you get and how long it will last. If I was buying a reel for Stripers, Salmon and Salt Water I would get a Nautilus FW. This will work for any fish that you could catch on a 8wt rod. You can get standard spools or + spools. The + spools increase the backing. This may be more money than you want to spend. I am not familiar with the Pflueger reels you mention so can't comment on them. Another reel you can look at is the Tioga reel by Teton. These are fully machined reels at a good price point. The new SA reels were just reviewed on this forum and it looked like a good reel. I have an older SA standard arbor reel that I caught a bunch of Salmon on in Alaska. It is still working well after many years. There are other fine reels out there but you have to jump in price. There are other posters that use the Pflueger reels and they can comment on their performance.