View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sometimes You Have to Work With What You've Got;

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Great read, Ard.

Didn't know you used to shoot skeet. I did competitively for a short while years ago, before my family took up most of my time. I never shot 100, but I shot 75 a few times. My best score was 98.

Along the same lines (and stop reading now if I've posted this before), I shot skeet with a Ruger Redlabel, 28" barrel, slightly modified (ports, lengthened forcing cones, stick-on cheek piece), basically a field gun.

My wife's uncle is a HUGE trap shooter, but he shot skeet on the weekend for fun. He always hosted a family reunion (and still does) at his house. One year, after he found out that I shot, he called and said to bring my stuff...he didn't ask if I wanted to, just told me to. So I do.

The party is on Saturday, so we stay overnight and I go with him to this battered old skeet field with a few of his buddies. These guys are carrying Parazzi's, Kreighoff's, Paragons, some real high prices stuff. I can feel them looking at me with my Ruger. One guy actually looked at the Ruger, then looked at me and said, "You gonna shoot that here?" (No, I use it as a cane...here's your sign.)

They thought this until I ran 50 on them. They figured out that I wasn't there to fool around. It was only after we shot 4 rounds (I shot a 97) that my wife's uncle told them that I shot competitively...they were aghast that I shot a FIELD gun that well....

It is the shooter, not the gun...it's the fisherman, not the rod...sometimes....
Axle: That was a great story and a good lesson about high priced equipment be it firearms or fly rods! In most cases, it isn't the equipment, it is the proficiency of the user that makes the difference between being a good a something.

Larry