Thread: Flatwing Flies
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flatwing Flies

I use flat wing style flies most of the time and tie nearly all my deceivers that way
You'll find that they work best on a floating line, not on the intermediate line that most people are use to for fishing the salt
This is because the action of the horizonially tied tail is extremely natural when dead drifted or stripped slowly. This action does not translate as well with the steady strip needed when using a sinking line.

Beginning in August, the prominent bait fish becomes the young of the year menhaden, known locally as peanut bunker
You might want to tie up a few flies with a fuller profile
Some of Kenny's flies work well for this. An excellent one is the September Night.
Personally I like Lou Tabory's Snake fly (which I tie with a flat wing tail) or a high/low style fly of craft fur.

Click the image to open in full size.