View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Recommended 44 mag ammo

I agree with the Master,

I have a friend who is retired Navy, 16 years SEAL Team Six, his entire career in the teams, he could handle any high stakes high stress situation that would ever come along. I have great confidence in my own coolness under pressure but carry two canisters of spray as my normal bear ordinance. If I find myself in an area that is obviously being used by Brown Bears I leave. If I find myself entering an area where there is no clear range of sight as in head high devil's club on both sides of a winding trail I do not go there.

There are several places close to our cabin that have really big trout in them. The problem arises when you consider that there are spawning sockeye salmon in these little creeks also. I want to go and I want to catch some big trout but everything about these two creeks says I'll run into a bear there. To make matters worse these are walk in streams because the lower lying waters have so many weeds growing in them they clog my jet and choke my little prop kicker motor. Because of this there is no warning signal for the bears to hear the boat coming and flee from potential danger.

I will not tell anyone not to carry a weapon especially if you must go into the bush but I would tell a person to learn as much about the habits of bears as possible before leaving the truck. Knowing where they travel and why is top of the list. There are always exceptions to the rules but by knowing the nature of bears you greatly reduce your odds of being surprised by one.

I could go on and on but will close with this; get a copy of 'Nature Observation & Tracking' by Tom Brown Jr. and read it. I did this the year he published it (sometime in the 80's) and it made me a better outdoors'man. If you've never heard of Tom Brown Jr. you've got a lot of learning ahead of you.

Regards,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;