View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough
Default Great Exuma bonefish

So a few weeks ago I got an email from a friend saying he had some time off from work and was planning on going to the Great Exumas to do some bonefishing. I have never had the pleasure of feeling a bonefish strip away line so I jumped at the opportunity. I flew down to Ft Lauderdale and met up with my buddy. We jumped in a tiny little prop plane and were on our way!

The first day we went out to rolle ville flats on our own. Unfortunately we didnt see a single bonefish, TONS of lemon sharks but no bones. The next two days we had a guide booked (drex, great guide).

First fish of the day was mine! It was my first bone ever. So stoked, and even though it was pretty small, it stripped line like no other fish I have had on a fly. I was instantly in love with the grey ghost.

First day only yeilded 2 bones, both were mine. We had shots at a ton of fish, but I was getting used to the wind and my buddy was having trouble remembering he wasnt catching browns while he set the hook! haha.

Day two we got into a few HUGE schools. Also saw two large sharks hearding a school and some explosive baracuda action. The last fish of the day was mine and he just BARELY got away from a 6 ft lemon (Thanks to drex's quick action). Overall we took 7 fish the second day. Enough banter, heres the photos.

Click the image to open in full size.

The weapons

Ben and Drex

we saw a flamingo....