View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: more terminology ques...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Can anyone tell me or point me to something that explains line and rod terminology? stuff like 5x 8x etc...... i am not sure what line i should be buying or what to get for my first good setup. Just need to learn and unfortunately, no one i fish with fly fishes. We are musky fishermen up here.

I should mention, i will be fishing freshwater for panfish, trout, and bass. I currently have a cortland rod that i bought as a kit with line, reel etc..(5x). mostly Wisconsin lakes and streams. Just need to make sense out of it all.
Hunter you have crossed the Rubicon...flyfishing is an art form...as you are from that great state of the intellect...begin with books...joe brooks...wulf...kreh...the Xs are old timely.... it's tippet test..of the weakest link...for me it's salt water and 12-20 lb..but fresh it's 2-8 lb in 'consin...when you first have a six foot tarpon jump 12 feet from you...you are hooked forever to the fly rod...but before that...when any smallmouth jumps to your fly...you are somewhat hooked...now when you have been in the stream for hours with a 16 adams...and a "bow or brown(in the daylite)" 14" or better takes it...well...that evening lose the wisconsin cognac and taste neat high proof single...you are forever hooked...