Thread: Flatwing Flies
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flatwing Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
He'll probably hunt me down and tell me I'm wrong (he's done it before ) but
Abrams got the idea for the saltwater flat wing from the classic Maine streamer the "9-3"

Click the image to open in full size.

Rip,

You're right. Up here the predominant baitfish is the menhaden, which we call "Pogies" in Maine. I didn't have enough time to tie up any versions of them, but I wish that I had. September Night was on my list, but; no time.

Abrames does credit the 9-3 as one of the earliest flatwing flies; it's the first fly listed in his chapter on single flatwing patterns; in the book "The Perfect Fish.......".

Thanks for the tip on floating lines when fishing a flatwing dead drifted; makes sense when you think about it; that the weight of the sinking or sink-tip line, when stripped, would interfere with the natural motion of the flat tail feather(s).

First Striper trip comes up later this week. Early reports from other fishermen are that fish are scarce. So, we'll see if there's anything out there.

Pocono