Thread: Overlining?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Overlining?

I seem to have correctly concluded that this topic could create a fuss here as well.

Salmo, you concluded correctly thst I think overlining is generally a bad idea. I can also see how you might think that my comment came out of left field, as it did. I suppose I'll admit to swelling a bit with pride when my explanation was met with such praise, and I just figured I would spread the love.

Doug, it seems you concentrated more on the 2nd paragraph of that quote, which I now realize is not nearly as developed a thought as was the first paragraph. A more complete explanation of the same thought would have gone like this: With equal size loops, an 8wt line cast on an 8wt rod will be more effective at beating the wind than a 6wt line on a 6wt rod. However, putting the 8wt line on the 6wt rod will most likely put more bend in the rod, increasing the distance between the top and bottom of the loop which means this less aerodynamic loop will not travel as well into the wind.

Thank you for your comments, I see that even good explanations can be improved.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.