View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho

Newbie here. First post. Just registered today and began to browse the forum.

Clemson, we had a family trip, albeit with a commercial outfitter, just the week before you. We put in at Boundary Ck on June 29 and might have been among the last of the summer rafts to do so, as our outfitter began to fly-in to Indian Ck after that.

Our experience was similar to yours. We had four first-time fly-fishers accompanying us, so I spent much of our camp time helping introduce them to the sport. Great fun. I never tire of that aspect.

Second day out I had a marvelous day in the rear of an oarboat. Lots of hook-ups and releases. Nothing spectacular but many in the 12-14 inch range. I disappointed my guide by failing to land the biggest of the day. I was simply tired by that time and should have known better and taken into account the drift of the boat. Finally, I just quit fishing. Can't remember the last time that my arm refused to cast once more--and that's over fifty years of fly-fishing.

Living here just south of Silver Ck gives me giant access to some of the best western streams. It wasn't my first time on the Middle Fork, but it was our first float down it. In the past we've flown in to a couple of ranches and done a lot of wading.

It's a fun river.

Allen R