View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

I pretty much agree with MP... I hav fished for many years as a purely catch and release angler. I used to keep fish that would feed our domestic worker and her family back in South Africa. Since I have moved to Canada I have discovered how good the fish here tastes, especially walleye! I also really enjoy eating trout, and now I am pretty good at filleting a pike so I have begun to eat more fish. I live by a simple rule, "keep only what you can eat fresh." As for trout I realease all trout in the larger lakes and if I want to eat trout then I go and catch the fish in my personal dugout which I have stocked. There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will. It's something I deal with a lot as people give me strange looks and think that I am mad when I come back from fishing with a ton of photos and nothing for the freezer. Being able to enjoy the fish we catch at the table is another element that makes this sport so great, but as with everything it must be done responsibly. My wife particularly enjoys it when I come home with fresh fish and cook it up for her, and sometimes she even insists I go fishing again!