Thread: Overlining?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Overlining?

I did go to activeangler and read your articles on lines, rods and putting it all together. They are excellent. I did not see any information on matching lines to rods without an indication of correct line size.
Many of my bamboo rods have no markings on them at all (the product of some previous owners lack of skill in refinishing) so I do not have any H or I markings to go by. What I am left with is putting varying line sizes on them and casting them to see which line size appears to load the rod correctly.
Your articles on line weight and taper gave me some good ideas about the mathematics involved in this (adding 5 feet of aerialized line equals one line size up etc) and your descriptions of badly formed loops from overloaded rods also helps. Your description of "exploding graphite shards" makes me little bit more than nervous (exploding bamboo slivers would be worse I think).
If you have any specific suggestions on picking a line size to start out with for any given rod, that would be helpful, otherwise I will just feel my way through it based on your general information.
thanks again