View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommended 44 mag ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceinak View Post
The problem is that in order to immobilize you pretty much have to disrupt the CNS or break both front shoulders. A brown or grizzly bear with one shattered shoulder usually keeps right on going. They take amazing hits from high caliber rifles in the shoulders & take off at a dead run. On a charging bear a shoulder shot most likely will not slow it to any degree. It would be hard to break a shoulder on a charging bear. A chest shot might kill it but the odds are very low that it would stop it in the next minute or so.
Interesting . . . what would you recommend to stop a brown bear or grizzly (Wyoming, not Alaska)? Would a handgun work at all? I'm now thinking of my Desert Eagle with a .50AE cal. barrel fitted, the heaviest bullet available for that configuration being a 350-grain jacketed soft point (not the penetration round I'd choose for bear), instead of my current .44 mag with a 240-grain JSP? (BTW, since we'll only be day fishing in the Grand Tetons and not camping or taking long back-country hikes, pepper spray will still be my preferred recourse, but if all else fails . . .).