View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

The Orange Witch

Hook 4-8
Tail- Black squrrel
Body- Orange wool
Cheeks- Chuckar Partridge
Head- Black

Tied killer style

Click the image to open in full size.

1, tie the tail and body on, (slim is better)

2, choose 2 feathers that match well like the two I am holding

3, tie the feathers on one at a time ( the trick is to use as few feathers as possable and have them touching all the way around so no body is showing and as little hook as possable this is what makes a well tied killer such a hand full and on some patterns you will need as many as 22 feathers)

4, form a small head and whip finish ( chuckar is the best feather I have used because it is dish shaped and just falls into place it is flat feathers that are hard)

The finished fly

This is a fly that is fished evening, night, and first thing in the morning, one angler in the 1960's is said too have taken 58 fish in 8 trips with this fly from the Ellesmere rivers , and will even work well on land locked salmon.

Lords Lure

Original tyer Frank Lord

Hook 4-8
Tail- Black squrrel
Body- Red or Yellow wool
Cheeks- wood cock plumiage (ginger feathers are best but buff will do) tied killer
Head- Black

This one took 22 feathers

Leslies lure

Hook- 4-8
Tail- A Bunch of Pheasant Tail Fibers
Body- Red or Yellow Wool
Cheeks- Hen Pheasant flank or wing covets tied killer 2 to a side
Head- Black

Ill get the story that goes with each when I get home and post them next time I can

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD