View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casting sinking lines

Thanks Frank. I do hear this all the time about sinking line being harder to cast. I don't know how much help I will be cause I don't see it. I even use GLASS rods and have a TYPE VII. I actually think they cast easy. You HAVE TO SLOW DOWN and as Frank said get it to the surface. You can have a lot more floating line on the water to recast, but I have had fish hit my sinking line 5' to 10' in front of me, so it is good to strip it ALL the way in.
I on the other hand, I have a STREAMER line which is the 15' of sink on a dry. That thing is tuff to cast. All that weight in 15 feet. feels like trying to cast 50 split shot (BB size) all in one spot of a fly line.
In answer to you other question, NO, I don't think presentation with a sinking line is that big of issue. If you are in a tube and you can fling it out there, try kicking backwards and pull some more line out. When you get as much line out as you want, then start stripping it in.
It will curl just like dry line, but one fish on with 60 to 70' of line out, it straightens out real quick ;-)