View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

I didn't read everthing here, but I have two of the knottless bag nets and hate the way flies tangle in there. Here is where the cool part at least to me comes in. I decided to go to measure nets web site one day. I googled it and discovered that even though I have never seen them in any fly shops I've visited Measure net's website sells just the bags in either rubber or knotless. My favorite net is one of those I think its called tear drop shapes it is 40" diameter and measure net sells a replace net that is 40" I beleive the rubber bags are $17. So next month I'm going to purchase a rubber measure net bag remove the knotless bag from my beautiful and expensive wooden net and zip on the new bag that way I get a rubber bag that flies won't tangle in and the ability to easily measure my fish without ever taking them out of water.

If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a wood net with a rubber bag in the beginning. I don't like the metal measure frames. For me the classic wooden frame is just all part of fly fishing. Matter of fact the local club I'm joining next month I believe offers a net building class and I plan on taking it to learn how to build my own.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.