View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

I've got one of those Scandinavian-made telescopic collapsible nets (see image below of what looks identical from Cabala's). However, since the original netting seemed to be knotted nylon, which not only is tough on trout but also badly snares the dropper rigs I use a lot, I first replaced the net with a black rubber replacement net from Cabela's. The net fit and worked fine, but since I use it for wading and it was very heavy, I next obtained one of Brolin's ghost replacement nets in the appropriate size. What an improvement! The replacement ghost net was way lighter than the black rubber, yet works as well as the black rubber for eliminating fly snags, etc.

I find this net to be amazingly light for how long it telescopes plus what had to be extra weight for the folding mechanism. Although I usually unfold the net and telescope it out to the length I think I'll need (usually max since I fish with long leaders), it can be unfolded with one hand after a bit of practice if I've forgotten to unfold it earlier. In addition, I find the Quick Seine net for seining up insect life to fit quite well on it in its fold-up pouch, ready for quick deployment by being stretched over the net when needed and easy to fold up in its storage pouch when not (see second image below following net).
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.