View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Fluoro Vs. Mono For Leaders / Tippets

There have been a few threads regarding Fluorocarbon Vs. Monafiliment, with most comments being towards cost and sink rate.

I've been doing some thinking and am actually considering spooling my spinning reel with Fluoro next year.

From what I see with regards to fly fishing, the advantages for Fluoro are; less water absorption, nearly invisible underwater, holds strength longer and is less affected by wear and tear and the elements.

The only disadvantage maybe is cost, which is probably minimal unless you're really abusing your leaders and tippets. (Take into account I don't know the cost of a reel of Fluoro tippet or a leader of the same material, but I'm guessing it's only a buck or 2.)

The one question I have in my mind is how sink rate (higher in Fluoro) affects fishing with a dry fly. Obviously with wet fly fishing it's another advantage.

Would that tiny piece of line really effect how a dry fly acts / floats? If it is significant, could that be overcome with the application of a little fly dressing to the line?

I'm looking forward to an interesting discussion here.

Jamie.