View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best five patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
If I were going to start a new box it would have the flies in many persons top five list. I'll see how many I can remember:
Dry's: Parachute Adams; Elk Hair Caddis; Griffiths Gnat; Ant
Nymphs: Pheasant Tail Nymph (KG SF Special); Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear; Copper John; Prince Nymph.

Sorry if this second part seems like a hijack to your thread. It's just to send out a "Bravo" to Kelly. I found out what the KG stands for in the recipe you posted. It's your published nymph and what a winner. I tied one, and can't wait to fish it. It looks awesome.
Thanks, Jimmie. This fly is a real winner and I always carry plenty when I'm out and about, more to share with fellow anglers than for fishing, but that's what it's all about isn't it. Take this thread for example, here we can share our favorites as well as our local expertise with someone asking for some advise. The flyfishing community is the greatest collection of helpful and friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to associate with.

I agree with MP regarding Schollmeyer's book. The man is a genius and I try to get my hands on anything he writes or says. Besides that he's a great guy.

Kelly.

P.S.: althought KG's South Fork Special is a great fly overall, in waters where there are whitefish it is candy to them...just sayin'