View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fluoro Vs. Mono For Leaders / Tippets

When I lived in the North East I fished 75% spring creeks and 25% freestone streams. I used the same mono type leaders for years and when fluoro came around I began to use it for my tippets. The material offered a higher tinsel & torsion break strength than mono while maintaining the same diameter. This quality alone was enough to get me tipping my leaders with the new material. My logic was simple, if I could fool fish with 6 or 7X maxima with a break strength of 2.5 to 1.0 lbs changing to a tippet that offered the same diameter but a break point of 2.5 - 4 lbs meant I could reel a fish in quicker. Faster landing of hooked trout equaled more fish caught in a given period of time.

I switched to using level leaders of 8 - 12 pound test for my streamer fishing because of the same features of the materials, stronger line at a smaller diameter than mono. Hooking a big brown trout on 12 lb leader that I had carefully tested my knots on gave me a high level of confidence while playing the fish. While there were some large specimens that indeed broke the knot while I was trying to beach them I believe the fluorocarbon lines were good for my over all success rate. I use this same material while fishing here in Alaska for all but the biggest fish on the big flies and for those I use maxima green in 25 lb test.

As for tipping with the stuff; watch those blood knots, test them well because you are joining two different materials. With time I grew confident of my knots but in the beginning many broke while I was testing them. I used the Orvis knot for attaching flies regardless of what kind or size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;