View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike/Bass set up

Sounds to me like you have too much leader or at least a leader not heavy enough in the butt.
Bass and pike are not leader shy and I never use a leader longer than about 8' and with a popper I might go as short as 6'.
For optimal transfer of energy your leader needs to have a long heavy butt,(about 60% of the total length) then a short mid section taper (20%) leading to the tippet(20%) A simple 8' hand tied leader might have 4' of 35# test mono, 2' of 25#, and 2' of 12#.
In the wind and with monster flies, try a leader with a 70%/10%/20% taper

Another issue you may have is that you're casting "too well".
With large air resistant flies, you need to cast with a slower, open loop. Not the tight loop you may be accustom to with trout flies
The bigger and more soggy the fly, the larger the loop