View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: DEEP and FAST nymph rigs?

What you found is a perfect application for one of my favorite nymphing rigs: the "bounce nymph rig". I learned of this set-up from an article Larry Tullis wrote a while back, Bounce Nymphing and I've mentioned it many times on this board. (search function will get you lots of info)

It goes like this: start out with your normal leader, add 2-3' of tippet one size weaker than your leader, and tie the knot so the tag pointing away from your fly line is left 6-7" long. (this is where your fly will go, unweighted nymphs work best.) Out at the far end of that tippet you tied on, tie a stopper knot, this will be to keep your split shot in place. You'll want to use multiple small shot. (forms a skinnier weight that will snake through stuff on the bottom where big shot would hang up.)

Fishing this rig also goes a bit different than a normal nymph, shot, and indicator rig. Your indicator will be jumping around quite a bit, as your weight is connecting with the bottom. You'll have to learn what movement of the indicator means a strike, and when its just bouncing on the bottom. Your indicator will also be moving slower than the current, as the bouncing slows it down.

For a better explanation, consult the article. Its the best source of info, I just wanted to add some tips from my own experience.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.