View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Please help my terminology.....please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneflynymph View Post
what does CDC mean?
CDC is a feather that is collected from the oil glands of a duck. They are efficient floaters because of the fibers and ramifications (structure) of the feather.

Quote:
what is a Trico hatch and what is used to imitate it?
Trico-- Tricorythodes-- Mayfly-- imitation is dependent upon the stage of the insect, the 'gender' of the insect, and what the fish are feeding on.... I think that sparsely tied, and fairly low riding presentations will usually be productive. The one thing to be very selective about is hook size. A trout will see anything bigger (than what she has been feeding on) as a 'freak' and usually pass. Going up one hook size could increase the size of the fly by as much as 30%-- that will stand out as odd to a feeding fish.

Quote:
what does ISO mean?
The only ISO that stands out in my mind is in reference to photography... ???? Not sure.

Quote:
whats the difference between a nymph and a midge...the size?
It is my understanding that a midge is a taxonomical classification and a nymph is a stage or point in a life cycle of many insects. Or put another way, a midge is an actual insect, and a nymph is a stage in an insect's life.

Quote:
is a parachute an emerger?.....is and emerger a nymph?
I've always considered 'parachute' to refer to a 'style' of tying. You could tie a 'parachute' emerger: parachute BWO, Klinkhammer, and others.

Hope this helps, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of these questions as I mainly fish bass species in warm water...
But I think the info that I have presented is accurate, maybe not the whole story, but accurate for general definitions.

Someone else will chime in and make any corrections and addendums as needed.