Thread: Spey cast....
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey cast....

Well I've been working with the two-hander now for a couple weeks and I must say what a freaking hoot!!

I have the RIO' spey casting DVd's and also picked up 'Skagit Master' with Ed Ward.
Skagit Master worked better for me, as the two angles of the camera within the same screen gave me a clearer idea of how the mechanics of the cast work, and well honestly Ed Ward's teaching style just "clicks" and makes sense to me.

I twisted up a grass casting leader of about 10', put on the floating head and went to work in the backyard. It took a while to bond with the new rod and once I slowed my casting stroke way down my loop started to form.
I spent a couple hours only throwing an underhand spey cast over and over just "feeling" the rod load and forming tight loops.

Next, I moved onto establishing my 'anchor point' consistantly. On the grass it was tougher, but as with my casting stroke all I needed to do was slow way down, once I had that figured out, changing directions for the cast fell into place too.

So far I have become comfortable throwing the Single and Double Spey, The Snap T, The Perry Poke, The Snake Roll, and the C Spey, and feel good about throwing the same cast with my off-hand or cross body. Last night I was throwing the entire head and running line over the fence and into my neighbors backyard.

One thing Ed Ward mentions in Skagit Master is that using a grass leader will cause premature wear on your line, but the knowledge you gain from doing it will be more than worth it. I absolutely agree with him, I am so much further along than last year when I first tried this.

It will be another 5-6 weeks before we head North to Salmon, not sure but I think I may have left earlier this week (mentally). lol!

I love this game!!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*