View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Larger fish equipment question-Salmon -Steelhead

Hi dogger,

Now you are talking my kind of fishing. Salmon and Steelhead are big boy fishing. You need good equipment if you do it very much. I am sure you have read that all the reel does is hold the line. That may be true for Trout, Bluegills and Small Bass. With Salmon and Steelhead you need a good reel with a good drag. S&S should be played from the reel as quickly as you can get rid of your slack line. These fish can run you up and down the river and you don't want any fly line laying at your feet. That is the quickest way I know of to lose a big fish.

The size of the fish has a lot to do with what weight rod is best to use. I caught a 40lb pound King on a 6wt rod. It was not fun. I had no control over the fish and I just held on as best as I could. That was just a 40lb fish and Kings up to 90lbs are caught in Alaska every year. In Alaska I caught most of my Salmon and Steelhead on an 8wt rod. It was good up to and including Silvers. I see that you live in Wisconsin so I assume You are talking Great Lakes Salmon. For every thing in your area except King Salmon I would go with an 8wt or 9wt as "tie one on" suggested. For Kings you need a 10wt to 12wt depending how big the fish are. If I were you I would decide what my primary fish will be and size my outfit for that fish.

I don't think the Vista reel is going to get the job done. Take a look at the Tioga reel. It is more money but would be a good choice for a low priced reel. Size 8 with Large Arbor is $155 list price.

Click the image to open in full size.