View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Larger fish equipment question-Salmon -Steelhead

Hi dogger,

To day we are lucky to have the best assortment of good reels that has ever been available. The use of CNC marchining has given us a flood of wonderful reels that are not too expensive. For Salmon/Steelhead fishing I would want a draw-bar type brake. The best brake material for fast running fish that you might find in Saltwater is probably cork. The problem with cork is it has to be maintained so it is not usually used in a sealed drag. Not that you need a sealed drag. Salmon/Steelhead are not speedsters but they will make long runs and use the currant against you. I would think any of the better made reels would be good regardless what material the brake uses. Choosing a reel for S&S has a lot to do with how much you fish. Someone who makes a trip up north and fishes for two weeks doesn't need a reel as tough as the full time fisherman. I would get a Mid-Arbor to Large-Arbor reel. A standard arbor holds more line but a LA gives you an advantage on retrieval speed. Here is an article you should study. It tells you all you need to know about drags.