View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM

mowthat is on a distinguished road
Default Intro and pontoon question

Hello to everyone. First let me start by introducing myself. My name is Jake and I live in SE Idaho. I have recently picked up flyfishing after years of bait and lure fishing. I am fishing with a sage launch 9ft. 6 wt. and a #2 ross flystart reel. I normally fish anything from: rivers like the Snake and Portnuef to reservoirs like American Falls and the Blackfoot to small creeks and streams such as upper portunuef and devils creek. Mostly for rainbows and small mouth and whatever else takes the bait. I do a little wading, boat fishing and float tubing.
I have recently started looking into a pontoon setup that would be capable of going up river as well as traveling pretty good distances across large reservoirs and lakes. Here is a link to the pontoon I have been looking at: Cabela's -- North Fork Outdoors McKenzie Drifter 2-Person Pontoon Boat

And here is the link to the motor I have been looking at: outboard - Briggs & Stratton

My questions are: How would a pontoon like that handle a motor like that? Is it too much/not enough? Would the front have to be counterweighted to balance out better? Is this completely ridiculous?
Thanks you guys for your time. I know I'll have more questions, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Anything you can share on the matter is much appreciated.

Jake