View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Bozeman Mt. Trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
Thanks for all the comments. As for a 7 weight, the two rods I used was a 5 weight on days with no wind and a 7 weight on the windy day on the Yellowstone below Livingston. A 7 weight was perfect for the wind. As for the scenery it was great. We saw several eagles on the float trip and were within 10’ (no kidding 10’) from a bear cub crossing the road on the way to the boulder river.

That was the closest I have ever been to a bear. What scared the you know what out of us was knowing that mom was around and we didn’t know where.
Rippin, thanks for the info. I was planning on going with only two rods - the 5-weight and the 4-weight - but now I think I'll leave the 4-weight behind and instead take the 7-weight along with the 5-weight.

Seems like bears are a problem up there this year. I understand that a food source they like (some kind of tree nut) are in short supply, so the bears are coming down from their normal higher altitude habitat in search of food before hibernation. I'm somewhat concerned about them myself; haven't decided on just carrying bear spray with me or also my .44 Mag (not that I don't have enough to carry while on the water )