View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout fishing around Decorah

Flymaster, your post is more than an update--it is a journal of the finest kind. The photos are beautiful and you description of your trip would make a great magazine article.

I still haven't gotten there yet, but it is on my agenda. The next time my wife is back in Decorah I plan on being there also. I finally got her interested in fly fishing, plus some lessons on the Hootch the first week of August. We were about 3 miles North of Helen, GA. The 1/4 mile, 45 degree trek down to the river was bad enough but coming back up in waders made me wish we had some oxygen bottles with us. The river was about 6" to 2' deep, the only trout I saw was about 4-5" and the water was too warm to catch anything. I promised my wife it would be better in Decorah. LOL Thanks again for the post and hope to fish up there before winter sets in. I will email you when I hope to go.

P.S. Both my wife and i were born and raised in South Georgia and North Florida where there is nothing but warm water fly fishing. We plan on retiring WAY above the gnat line.