View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 1st ever hares ear!

Hi George,

You are doing great and I am sure you are having a ball. I want to give you a couple of tips with out criticizing your flies. So here is a fly that I want to talk about the construction.

In the photo notice that the body is tapered with a more fuller body under the wing case and then it tapers to the tail. Also notice it has a distinct head. It is also very buggy and you seem to be getting the buggy part. I think you need to plan out the fly before you start to tye. Have in your mind where to stop your body so there is enough space to include a head. Look at the hook and think about the proportions of the fly and what part will be covered with the wing case. This will come with experience and lots of trial and error. Someone else suggested buying a couple of the flies you want to tye. That is good advise and if you cut one up you might learn how it is constructed.

Frank

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
Click the image to open in full size.