Thread: Poll on PFD's.
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll on PFD's.

Just curiosity folks, I'm not gonna scold you if you don't wear yours.

My wife and I have only worn ours occasionally, but with the two drownings on the South Fork this year we are making a commitment to each other to wear ours when we are floating from now on, they can always be removed when we stop to fish.

The last accident occured in an area that we have floated many times with no problems, not really even a rough stretch of river. The guide and his clients hit an exposed snag in the river and flipped the boat. None of them were wearing a PFD. The clients were very fortunate and made it to the shore safely, the guide was not so lucky.

Anyway, this incident has really hit me hard. If it can happen to a guide that fishes this water on a regular basis and knows where most every hazard is, then it can happen to ANYONE. All it takes is a split second and you have a potentially deadly problem, not only for yourself, but everyone aboard.
Even if you are a good swimmer, it may not matter if you hit your head on a rock going in, suck in a lungfull of water, or have a heart attack.

From now on PFD's are mandatory in our boat when moving.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 09-11-2010 at 01:53 PM.