Thread: Poll on PFD's.
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll on PFD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I said all the time. That's not quite the whole truth but close enough.
In my kayak, I've never been out without my PFD on full time. In my canoe, I only wear it when the water is rough. The difference is that I normally only take the canoe on small ponds in calm weather. The kayak is mostly ocean going and I've been out in some pretty rough seas and know conditions can change quickly.
Rip Tide: Most of the kayak folks around here are pretty good about wearing PFD's, but then again they are looking for white water to have fun in. Last year when I was over at Bennett Peak campground fishing the North Platte, I was talking with a NF enforecement officer. He told me that he just got back from a search and rescue mission on the Colorado River in the Gore Canyon section (Class V/VI rapids). A week before, a group of kyakers floated down through that section, one guy in the group, instead of wearing the PFD, stuffed his down inside the kayak. He did a roll in a big section of rapids and they never found him until a week or so later.

Larry