View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: fishing techniques on streams

Hi shmish,

How is your casting going. Have you got a handle on your sink tip line?

This is one of the toughest situations to get a good drift. Keep in mind that there are situations where you can't make a good cast and you have to re-position yourself to fish a certain spot. Cliff has given you good advise. The best solution is to wade out to the fast water and hold the line up by keep a very high stick position with a long rod. If the fast currant is too wide and is not a torrent, you can make an up stream cast using a reach cast and across the fast water into the slow water. You will have to quickly mend line in the fast water so it doesn't over take the line in the slow water. In some cases this will work in others it won't. The more line you have in the slow water the better this will work. Another trick is to look over the fast water and sometimes you will find slack water at the edge of the fast water going back up stream. If this is on the other side of the fast water from you, cast so the line is in the slack water and in some cases it will take the line up stream. You might even have to make a downstream mend. If you find that a reach cast or some other cast is working to give you a short drift, then adjust up or down stream so the fly is drifting in the area you want to fish. Sometimes just casting across the water from the shortest distance to the target is not the solution. I enjoy trying to work out something in these situations that works to a point that I catch a fish. Then I feel like I have really accomplished something.

Frank