View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: fishing techniques on streams

Hi shmish,

Thanks for all of those good pictures. I really liked the one of the fence.

I studied your video for some time. It is hard to tell with out seeing the water but it doesn't look too deep. I saw several places that you could wade almost to mid stream so you can cover a lot of water. A fast river like this will have the fish resting in currant breaks next to or behind rocks. I would spend my time fishing the almost slack water areas with a floating line and some type of streamer, maybe a bugger. This is water where having different weight of flies would pay off. I would cast across or slightly down river in most places. If you cast down river you need to use what I call a wiggle cast. Some call it a slack line cast and has a series of "S" curves in the line. I did see some spots that you could cast upstream along the edges but I think the bigger fish will be further out. I would also try using a big (size 10) fly like a Royal Rulff as an indicator and a emerger style nymph. You might try a big Stimulator as the indicator fly. If you can't see the indicator fly then use an indicator. Matching the hatch is not as important in this style of water as the fish have very little time to see the fly and make up its mind. To be sure this is challenging water and you will be a much better fly fisher if you figure it out. The biggest challenge is reading the water and locating the fish. It will be extra important that you pay close attention to where you catch a fish and what the water looked like.