Thread: Streamers
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Recently I've become enamored with tying streamers, especially articulated ones, but that is for later in the post.

What are some of everyones favorite streamers and what sizes? I want to start filling a streamer box with baitfish imitatiions. I realy like matuka style patterns and need to work on some muddlers but what else is good.

I really like some of the Kelly Galloup flies are they worth a shot at tying? I think they look super productive.

I'm particularly after sculpin and darter type patterns.

Moving on, When tying a matuka should I tie in one or two hackles for the tail and back? Also, i have been stripping the barbs off of the bottom side of the stem so it lies flatter, should I continue that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I strip the hackle for flies that I post or any that have a slim body they look better, also you can flatten the stem at the point where you tie it in (this will some times get them to sit better)

You should use 2 feathers, some that I tie use 4+ feathers

I have a tutiral video of a parsons glory (classic NZ mutuku) but need too get another computer before I can convert it for use on the net (from AVI to FLV) I will send a pm when I get it working it may help

My favorite in this style are the parsons glory, the grey ghost, split partridge (this is a bit harder too tie tho), the Hearts creek, and red shadow (the patterns are in the classic thread) in sizes 4-8 are good

Some of the sculpin patterns we use are tied like the killer flies in the classic thread but with the side feathers cocked up (usualy coloured partridge) in 4-8

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD